July 15, 2010

To the (bullet) point

+ Still sick. Pretty tired of mucus. Not that you asked. But seriously, body. ENOUGH.

+ New favorite shows: White Collar and Covert Affairs, both on USA. White Collar is in its second season, I think, but I caught a marathon over the weekend and now I'm hooked. Covert Affairs was a lot of fun. I was bound to like it since it was created (or written or directed or something) by the guy who did the Bourne trilogy featuring Matt Damon, my Movie Boyfriend. But Piper Perabo? With the hot flirtiness? And the sexy spy shtick? And her movie career which includes a turn as a lesbian? Twice?! YES, PLEASE.

+ I bought a brand of TP that has aloe and, like, lotion in it. I'm sure it's supposed to be bootytastic but it's really just irritating because now I have lotion smears across my glasses ALL THE &^#!*% TIME. Maybe I won't hate it when I don't have a cold. Time will tell.

+ I'm starting to gain some responsibility at Vox. I've been asked to interview a poet for a 1,000-word feature and I'll be working more hours over the next few weeks as we prepare our annual arts guide. I'm working about 15/week now and I won't be adding a lot more but the week before we go to the printer, I get to work 40 HOURS. 40! IN. A. ROW. I was complimented on my efforts with the calendar, so going to the office, even though it's only two days a week, makes me feel very glow-y and special.

+ As I am supposed to, I started reporting my income to the unemployment people when I picked up my job at Vox. The idea is that I make X dollars a week working part-time and unemployment fills in the rest, up to the amount I've been receiving from them every week. I started getting less money from the state, so everything seemed okay. And then... The Letter showed up. It was an accusatory, hateful-from-the-start, ARE YOU WORKING DON'T LIE OR WE'LL PROSECUTE YOU kind of letter that I had to return almost immediately. I kind of freaked out because, well, why do they sound surprised?, but I filled it out and included a nice little note whose underlying theme was 'I don't want to live in my car; please don't cut off my benefits.' Disbursement day came and there were no benefits. Groaaaaan. I braced myself for six weeks of being a little more broke, like I did late last year, but two days later, the bennies showed up. I honestly figured it was going to take them weeks to sort things out, but I was less worried about money this time around since I have a blogging paycheck, a calendar editor paycheck, and occasional money from King V coming in. None of those add up to a ton of cheddar, but it's more than I was making six months ago. Progress! Did I mention that I got a second scary-ass letter from unemployment yesterday? I wonder if I'm going to have to explain what's going on every week. I hope not, but if I do, I do. Whatever gets me through until I pick up that third and final part-time job.

+ Speaking of additional income, King V offered to bankroll a crafting business for me. I wore a t-shirt the other day that I had painted with fun little designs and he was very complimentary. I've been thinking about products that I could put together, like T-shirts and wall hangings. I told him that we needed to come up with a business plan and asked if he knew how to write one. He replied, "Uh... sure!" I think the business is off to a SMASHING start.

+ Last night I had a really nice moment. I was in bed (this isn't dirty) and I found one of those super awesomely comfy positions that just makes a person happy to be alive. I thanked the Goddess for all that I have, including a place to live that has air conditioning, a car to drive, friends, family, love, and on and on. I made sure the Universe knew I wasn't taking anything for granted. Yesterday afternoon, before I found out my benefits were going to come through, I was telling my boss that I'd been cut off. He seemed a little surprised -- but not much -- and said, "Man, they don't miss a beat, do they?" He acknowledged that I was making less money -- as the guy who writes my paychecks, he knows what's up -- but then he said, "But you're happy." Even though I already knew that, he was still right.

No comments: