Okay, it's only day two, so the only thing I've been able to establish so far is that I'm glad I'm not 33 anymore. What a year of hell 33 was. Maybe it was the double digits. Things were pretty effed up when I was 22, but I was on the verge of coming out, so that explains that. And when I was 11, my folks were uprooting the fam from the desert and moving us to River City, which registered pretty high on my trauma scale. Crap. This does not bode well for 44. But that's ten years away, so lalala I'm not thiiinking about it lalala puppies and kittens lalalalala.
I had a nice birthday. I got to work and had a card on my chair from our administrative assistant, who also attended my birthday lunch last Saturday (and unfortunately got stuck at the far end of the table, so I don't think she had much fun). She gave me a gift card for Starbucks (w00t!) that I promptly used this morning. There's no waiting with the Starbucks gift card!
My coworkers and I went out for a birthday lunch where I had a $7 grilled cheese sandwich and received three Putamayo CDs and some rockin' gel pens. I'd be using those pens to write my novel, but I'm now in the data entry phase, which means deciphering my scribbles in the margins of the composition notebooks I've been writing in since November 1. It's taking a while to get everything into the computer, but I'm running out of time and need to figure out just how many words I have so I can use my four days off wisely. Don't get me wrong -- there will be plenty of sleeping and movie watching -- but I want to know on the 26th just what the last week of NaNo is going to look like. Can't get to Monday and realize I need to write 9,000 words a day or something. Which I wouldn't and probably couldn't, but still. I'm very stoked -- I'm actually arranging the book into chapters and I have both a beginning AND an end. It's like I'm an actual fictionalist!
King V and Queen S had to bail early on lunch to go get shots for their upcoming trip to Costa Rica. King V had to tell QS she was going to be shot up with an anti-malaria medicine, among a few other things, so she knows they're headed somewhere tropical. I hope she hasn't figured out that they're bound for Central America. King V is planning to tell her where they're going when they check in at the curb at the airport ... after they exit the limo he's hiring. Yeah, I think I know who I get the hopeless romantic gene from.
After lunch, the afternoon slowed to a crawl. We were all full of dessert-y goodness (apple crumb cake a la mode with caramel drizzles mmmm) and I just wanted to nap, but I made it through until 6 pm and then spent the evening hanging out with the king and queen. We had nachos, watched Benny and Joon, had cake, and I got PRESENTS (Bath and Body Works yummies in Sensual Amber, Annie Lennox's new CD, Songs of Mass Destruction, and an Amy Tan novel). CDs, books, and smell goods are the way to go. I'll be zipping around town in my SuperCar! (which drives like it's new with its new brake hose and recent oil change), listening to many tunes, and enjoying life. Which I was doing before (when I wasn't grousing about being broke or out or shape) and which I plan to do that much more now that I'm 34. Crap. I hate it when things unintentionally rhyme. That's a crime. I'm rarely on time. I love Corona with lime. Okay, I'm sorry. I'll get back to work now.
2 comments:
I apologize for my lack of birthday fussing.
*fuss, fuss*
34? Damn, that's old. I know, I know, I'm only a year younger. But I'm trying to make myself feel better.
Pish tosh. Fussing not necessary. :) Mack Daddy Smooth called me yesterday and also said that I'm old, but mentioned that he would be joining my ranks next month when he turns 32. Apparently 32 is when I got old, so I should be used to it by now. :) And hey, isn't there supposed to be some allure to my being an older woman?? I mean, aside from the whole "you're married and I'm queer" argument, we should totally be exchanging smoky glances and, like, eating oysters, right? ;)
Post a Comment