I resigned from my job earlier today.
I’ve been thinking about doing so for a while now.
I thought yesterday that I would turn in my 60-days notice.
And then I realized that wouldn’t work as I’ll be in Michigan.
I went for 90 days.
I’d prefer it be 14 days but I don’t have another job yet.
I typed up a nice, formal letter.
I began to feel lighter and freer as I did so.
(Ring, ring. Clue phone. It’s for you, Max.)
I went into King V’s office and handed him the letter.
He was surprised.
But not flabbergasted.
He told me to sit down and he listened to me talk.
I started crying pretty much immediately.
I said I missed having him as my dad.
I said that we are both different when we’re here.
He’s this guy I don’t especially want to work with.
He said he’d also rather have me as his daughter than his employee.
Which was in response to me saying I wanted my dad back.
And then he offered to contact a bunch of people that might know about job openings.
Which was very cool.
And he kinda started taking over the job-finding process.
But we’re both control freaks like that.
And I said we were so much alike that we’d begun to overlap.
I found myself gritting my teeth really hard to not start crying again.
So I lied and said I had to go pee.
And I went to my computer and emailed my mom.
Who promptly called me.
And chastised me for, and I quote, “not having my ducks in a row.”
She doesn’t know what’s so hard about working here.
And then admitted she didn’t have a father figure when she was growing up.
(Will not sing George Michael song ... will not sing George Michael song...)
And hasn’t worked for her family.
(Yeah, so at this point, you exit stage right, correct?)
I told both KV and QS that I learned a lot – A LOT – in the two-ish years I’ve worked here.
But it’s also been pretty hard.
King V knows that I’ve had difficulty because I’ve had closed-door meetings with him several times.
There has previously come a point in my life where crying at work was par for the course.
Didn’t matter if it was at my desk, in front of my boss, or in the bathroom.
It was time to go. Past time, really.
And that's how I ended up here.
I will take with me some great skills.
And if I can’t find another professional job in the next 90 days –
which I seriously doubt will happen because I have lept knowing the net will appear and told my mom as much –
then I will get a temporary job at a bookstore or Target or wherever so that the kitties don’t starve and I don’t end up homeless.
I wholeheartedly believe everything happens for a reason.
And even though my mother spent 15 minutes blathering on about … something (“the company will miss having you and you will miss having the company,” were her words, I believe, though I was hearing her instead of listening because I was chatting online with a friend who understands the stress of working for family or can at least see a hazy outline of the stress that situation might cause a person and I was holding the phone between my chin and my shoulder while I typed and saying “Mmmhmm” every few seconds so she knew I hadn’t hung up on her)
I do not regret my decision.
But I definitely need to send some prayers and good thoughts and such out into the Universe.
And ask those who know me locally to keep an ear to the ground for any job openings.
As well as follow up with some places where I’ve applied.
And keep smiling. Which I’ve been doing the last few hours.
1 comment:
I've got my eyes WIDE open. I'm sure something perfect will come along soon. In the meantime, my car needs to be waxed! :P
Post a Comment