Seven. Months. I know. I can hardly believe it myself. Lots of things have happened, as you might expect. Some of the highlights:
1. I left my job at the post-Vox firm in February. I can't and don't want to go into any details. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the best way to kick off the year. At least I know how to navigate unemployment this time. My current plans are to find a new job and move, probably out of state. I have discussed sharing part of a house with a friend who is lease-bound until the fall. October... l'aventure commence.
2. Either my neighbors are getting nuttier or I'm just running out of patience. Although my apartment is spacious, has hardwood floors, big windows, and cheap rent, the drawbacks include:
- The Ever-Remodeling Republicans: The husband, the human embodiment of a bullhorn, is an aging frat boy who all too recently fired up his power saw at almost 11 p.m. and really enjoys blasting Sugar Ray from his deck. The wife masquerades as an opera singer and tortures anyone within hearing range when she practices.
- The Humpingtons: Betty Off Her Crocker and Chuck, her boyfriend of almost two years, for whom the honeymoon loudly and thumpingly continues in the room directly above my living room sweet Jesus please Google 'DIY padded headboard.' Betty has taken over all of the available yard space and most of our patio. I kind of expect to come home someday and find her in my apartment, wondering where she can put a couple of things.
- The porch-partying art school hipsters who have to be told at 5 a.m. to please be quiet so I can sleep.
- Cleaning up bunny remains after my cats wantonly murder the backyard wildlife. I'm considering posting little signs with, like, carrots behind a universal 'no' symbol or "Peter C.: Missing since May 15" as warnings.
So many things have changed. I acknowledged the other day that my 30s have been rough. I've never wanted to say it out loud because of the guilt associated with complaining about first-world problems, e.g., "So you have to shoo hipsters off the porch at sunrise? Well, I have cancer." But it's more than that. I have been confronting / dealing with / drowning in / struggling through increasingly worsening depression and anxiety, both of which have the power to render me almost useless and have made simple things like going to the grocery store totally suck. My tenure at the firm I left lasted about two years, during which time I grew more and more sensitive to noise (to the point that a coworker and I self-diagnosed ourselves with misophonia) and began to feel my age crash in around me. I guess it makes sense. I was in a full-blown panic right before I turned 30; why wouldn't I feel similarly a decade later? Especially after a decade that included the start and end of three emotionally taxing jobs, living in three less-than-stellar apartments, embarking upon and ending my first serious relationship with a woman, confronting my anger and food issues in therapy, watching my friends marry and procreate, and dealing with the death of several people, including my beloved paternal grandparents. Ugh. It's just been a bit too much and most of the people I feel closest to live out of town. So it's difficult and I wouldn't mind just curling up like a
I know that much of my current situation is temporary. A new and better apartment with more respectful neighbors awaits. I'll get a job again, whether I'm a PR hack or a self-employed
I'm a little stuck and a lot frustrated but I'm still hopeful. I've been invited to speak at an artists' retreat this fall, which I'm really looking forward to, and I'm going to continue investing in my writing both on and offline. I don't want to give up on this blog, in part because I sometimes fantasize about having a following like The Bloggess or Amalah, but also because it's been a constant in my life for most of my 30s and I don't want to walk away from it. I just need to... I don't know. Put up some curtains or add on a wing. Scrub the floors clean, hang some pictures, invite people in. Things are going to work out. They always do.
6 comments:
chin up tits out...you can do it..
Sorry things are hard. I'm glad you still have hope, and that you will try, because the only real failure is when you stop trying.
I'm glad you posted. I'd wondered how things were going with you.
Have you had the full blown panic attack yet? They're tons of fun - especially when you haven't had one and you're sure you're dying. I know I'd have one with all that noise going on that you did - you're already a better man than I am Gunga Din!
@Amy: LOL... no out-of-control panic yet. I've only had a couple panic attacks in my life and hoo boy, you aren't kidding! I remember being convinced someone was in my apartment and I was about to die, even though I'd been there alone all day, etc. Currently, I'm rather inert and need to do something about it. I can't take many more nights of waiting for the hipsters to get off the porch so I can go to sleep. :P :)
Please don't make us wait another 7 months--you were missed!
OaW: Thanks for sticking around! :)
Post a Comment