August 26, 2012

Kinda sorta in review

  • I no longer work for King V in any capacity. I wouldn't mind the extra money, but it's pretty nice to have my dad back.
  • Betty Off Her Crocker has now been dating her boy toy for a year. My living room is directly beneath their bedroom. Mmhmm.
  • Mack Daddy Smooth is going to be featured in a cookbook! I'm so proud of him.
  • I went to Costco with Queen S on Friday. First time I'd ever been. I now know what $40 of shrimp looks like.
  • I've been thoroughly enjoying a lot of older Tori Amos music lately, including tunes from Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, To Venus and Back, and Scarlet's Walk. It's so weird to realize I started listening to her in high school. I graduated 21 years ago but the music still feels new.
  • I went to a friend's play tonight, which discussed the existence of and belief in God. I'm glad I liked the play and didn't have to come up with something diplomatic to say at the end like, "Wow... the lighting was very spotlight-y" or "You stand on a stage really well!" The theatre group is an offshoot of a local church I've been to a few times. It's very... open? Lots of gay couples attend, lots of talk like "Mother Father God." I don't know. I might check it out. It still means getting out of bed early on Sunday. Homey don't play dat, even for the divine.
  • I booked a poetry reading gig for November and I'm going to meet a new friend for a crafternoon next week. I'm happy to make more room for art in my life. I come home from a day of editing and the last thing I want to do is look at more words on a screen. Enter visual art. There's talk of card-making, beadwork, and painting. Yay, brain candy!
  • I joined a goal-making group. That is, I meet with a few other people and we go over goals we want to accomplish. After "new job," I'm moving on to curing cancer, taking over the world, and getting Queen Latifah to notice me. No bigs.

2 comments:

Older and Weiser said...

How cool that you got a poetry reading gig! Is this your first, or have you had one before?

In your absence, I managed to write and publish a novel (I use novel loosely. It is actually an erotic romance about a polyamist family. Snort.).

Sooooo glad you are back!

Love, your cyber stalker (jk--sort of)

Maxine Dangerous said...

Nope, I've done lots of readings before. I've just slowed way down in recent years. Goal is to get back to it. Every once in a while I have a fantasy about leaving the doldrums behind and becoming a traveling artist. You never know... I still have time.

Glad you're still here! :)