I went on a few dates pre-Michfest with a woman I didn't really gel with. I see her tomorrow night, during which time I get to do the whole "It's not you, it's me..." thing even though it's really her. I've heard, more than once, the whole "Ooh, I just want to be friends" thing and haaated it and don't want to inflict that on her even though that's how things will probably come out.
I'm okay with #1 because I went on a date tonight with someone who I'm considerably more attracted to. We're both geeks for documentaries, which we talked about quite a bit. It helps that she also swears and isn't a vegetarian, two things I didn't get from Woman #1. Considering I pepper most of my sentences with swear words, it was hard to try and reign that in on the dates I went on. Additionally, and it may sound silly, but dating a carnivore is fairly important to me, simply for the times when I would want to say, "Wanna grab a burger?" and not have to follow that up with "Oh... right..." and a sad face or "No, I don't know where you can get scrambled tofu instead." I can't really explain why it matters; it just does.
Speaking of tofu, I already wasn't a fan, but then I saw an episode of a new show called Hoarders. A woman who compulsively hoarded food tried to keep some expired tofu, claiming that freezing it declared it invincible to, you know, TIME, and I just have to say that eating it (outside of its tiny pieces in miso soup and in my favorite dish at Michfest) is even less likely.
I've developed a great affection for Drop Dead Diva. And I've resumed watching Intervention. I need to pick up a book before my mind dissolves and leaks out my ears. At least I watched a documentary today about the brain. I feel slightly redeemed.
Still looking for a job. Spent part of the afternoon compiling writing samples for a writing/editing position with a local nonprofit. Wish me luck.
King V returned from overseas unharmed; yay! He brought me a wooden elephant. Looooove.
I fucked up my knee a couple months ago. I was crawling into bed and my left knee popped right when I knelt on it. It's been fucked ever since and limping around (due to the weak feeling in my knee rather than limping because of pain) has now affected my right leg. Gimpy McGimperson at your service. *bowfallthud*
Considering going back to my alma mater to get my M.A. in English. I'm already crazy; why not join a group of people who are equally nuts? The best part is that I would be in classes with profs whom I worked for when I served as the English Department's graduate program secretary. I've been in two classes with one prof in particular and the thought of being in her classes again makes my ass clench. Once, during a meeting to discuss a paper I'd written in her class, she complained, "You're writing like an undergraduate!" I. Am. An. Undergraduate. Yeah, yeah, I get it. Not writing up to my potential, as she thought, blah la la. Well, now I can prove myself. The Ass Clenchee is likely to end up on my thesis committee as whatever I write about would likely center around female African-American writers, which is one of her specialties. Of course. Ah well. I've had grad school ambitions since I graduated in 2002; this might be another one of those. Time will tell. Regardless, if you pray, you might want to throw in a couple for me, especially to get me through the whole GRE-taking application process.
Big-ish day tomorrow. Gotta submit app materials for the aforementioned job, do some laundry, take out the trash, pay a bill... no big deal for most of it, except for the crafting of yet another cover letter. Maybe this time, she prays and settles down in front of the computer yet again.
2 comments:
While I give you props for focusing on English as a grad major, I also have to say that my MA in English has not been as flexible in the work force as I could have wished. Most of my fellow alums either compete for teaching positions in a shrinking market or go back to whatever they were doing before, or find a job where the type of degree isn't as crucial as other items on the resume.
I really loved being a student, though, so far be it from me to dump a steaming pile on your dreams if that's what you really want to do...just offering some of my own experiences. If I could go back again I might get a degree in something more career-driven like information science or international studies.
But whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck! If you pick English, be sure to pick a school that also has a good PhD program where you could stand a better chance of matriculating in if you want to go the full route and teach.
As for the GRE--work on logic puzzles to help you prepare. There may only be so much you can do for math and reading, but a lot of people overlook the logic section and that can be the easiest.
Good luck and live well!
@ DJS -- I appreciate your insight; it's really helpful. :) The idea of teaching doesn't really trip my trigger, which is the main reason I've not already gone for the M.A. It helps to hear from people who've been there before. Everyone I know in grad school is miserable and I'm not sure why I'd want to put myself through that... lol. Glutton for punishment, maybe. :) I'll likely keep looking around for programs in the hopes that something will really appeal to me and for longer than, you know, a week. My job search is just enforcing my belief that I have to get SOME kind of grad degree; I'm stuck between jobs that pay $9/hour and only require a high school diploma and these high-falutin', very cool sounding jobs that require scads of experience AND an MA in Something I Hadn't Even Thought About Pursuing.
Thanks again... you're a doll. :)
Post a Comment