February 5, 2009

Say hi to Grandpa for me

In completely shitty and eerily soon-after-I-mention-her-in-a-blog-post news, Grandma V passed away around 2:00 a.m. this morning. While this is shitty shittiness full of shit, she's also free. She'd been trapped by dementia for the past seven years, if not longer. She stopped recognizing me years ago and then stopped recognizing her kids. She would ask where Grandpa was, having not remembered his passing, and it was just painful to know she was existing in a place of fear and paranoia and loneliness. She had to be restrained so that she wouldn't get out of bed and hurt herself. The last time I saw her, I told her I loved her and she looked at me and said, "That's nice."

To help myself feel better after my grandpa's passing in 2004, I imagined he was in heaven with my Aunt Jeanine, my grandparents' first born, whom we lost in 1988, having a nice glass of iced tea at some outdoor cafe. Now Grandma can join them.

King V told me I didn't have to come into work but I want to be there for him. It's certainly been a helluva week.

5 comments:

TK said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Maxie. Take care of yourself, kiddo.

Mymsie said...

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. :( You're in my thoughts.

Landlady of Fat said...

oh no -- i'm so sorry!

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry... even while it's good that she's free and not afraid any longer, it's hard. I'm thinking of you and your family.

cornbread hell said...

you don't know me, but i follow your blog.

i'm real sorry for your loss.

peace.