March 17, 2008

The one where I end up talking about pee kind of a lot

I had a bitchin' weekend. Cliff-ly noted:

Friday -- Dinner with Sterling and Steele, which was awesome. We hung out for a few hours after dinner and just talked and I had a really great time. I took home a CD that Steele had burned for me, which included songs from the Once soundtrack. I had a great time listening to it as I zipped around town on Saturday running errands.

Saturday -- Picked up meds (whee!), went to post office and mailed out craft projects for some Michfest friends, went to Kinko's to make color copies of some art I'm sending my friend Phoenix, went to Weight Watchers (I'm down 4.6 pounds!), put a deposit down on a bike, went to lunch with Serena and her partner and ordered some too-hot Thai food, went home and napped, called the royals to see if they wanted to mix up my too-hot Thai rice with some plain white rice and they said yes, went to the drugstore to drop off film, had dinner with the royals and watched True Lies (hy-ster-i-cal), and paid some bills online while we watched reruns of Reno 911, and took home a humidifier that Queen S was just going to give to Goodwill. It should be noted that I spent the evening of my sixth anniversary of moving out of my parents' house ... with my parents ... at their house. Huh. It should also be noted that I spent about 45 minutes getting the humidifier set up because I didn't bother to read the instructions first. I haven't noticed a real difference in the air in my bedroom yet, but the water is draining from the tank, so something is happening. (A water leak directly below the humidifier and slowly rotting wood perhaps?)

In continuing with good news, I followed my father upstairs on Saturday night to see some renovations my folks had done to their junk room "archives" and noticed for the first time in a long time that I wasn't winded after I climbed the stairs. I credit my past week of activity, which included yoga and marching in place either while watching TV or while getting back to walking a mile in place with my Leslie Sansone DVD. The workout is fun and quick and it's quite thrilling to see the ticker at the bottom of the screen progress from zero to one mile in just about 20 minutes.

Sunday -- Got up early to shoot photos at a work event. The only problem was that no one had told people King V and I were showing up to photograph children and we spent half our time apologizing for freaking people out. Luckily, the fiasco event only lasted about 90 minutes, after which I fled back home. I really wanted to go to Target and the grocery store, but I was bomb-ass worn out from Super Productive Saturday and a night of piss-poor sleep due to nightmares, so I ended up going back to bed for a chunk of the afternoon. I met my gay boyfriends for dinner and had a pleasant Sunday evening. I came home, wanting to be productive, and deciding finally to clean my bedroom. It was lovely to go to sleep in a clean space last night. I stayed up far too late but wanted to get some journaling done. I also didn't want my really pleasant weekend to end. The great thing about returning to an active state (METABOLISM: ON) is that I wake up very quickly, so even being tired doesn't last very long.

At the bike store on Saturday, the Nice But Perpetually Skinny Woman I talked to went a bit overboard in addressing my concerns about being a bigger woman on a bike. When I had discussed the upcoming purchase with the store's owner and said that I was a big girl, he said he was used to working with customers of a "formidable stature." That made me giggle. His continued use of various diplomatic ways to say fat ass were not, however. Same with Madame Flat Butt who said things like "Forgive me, but I assume you aren't looking for a bike you can use while competing in a triathlon" and "You probably sweat a lot, right?" (Um, no, and ew?) I'm not sure where Princess Celery Sticks got her information about fat people but I made it clear that I like to move and that I want to move. THAT'S WHY I'M BUYING A BIKE, YOU WENCH. It wasn't like I was sitting at home deep-frying Ding Dongs before I decided to pay the bicycle folks a visit. But, as a friend pointed out, I need to let go of my anger (exasperation, incredulity, urge to set Dame McNoflab's car on fire) because the woman has been skinny for life and therefore has skinny privilege. That's definitely not a term I'd heard before, but I get it.

Here's how things are looking in weight loss world. The star represents my first five pounds lost:















When I weighed in on Saturday, the clerk told me I was down 4.6 pounds. I thought she meant for the week and I was thrilled because I needed a 3.8-pound loss to get my five-pound star, but then she realized 4.6 was my total and that I was down 3.4 pounds. Yes, that is still incredibly awesome. I am quite literally working my ass off, so I was happy; however, I wanted that extra 4/10 (2/5?) of a pound to come off so I could get a five-pound star to put on my Weight Watchers bookmark. After I weighed in I thought, "I should've peed before I weighed in," and then thought that carrying 6.4 ounces of pee would probably be uncomfortable. But I just found out a healthy , full bladder holds up to 16 ounces of pee, so I'm traveling down tinkle trail before next Saturday's weigh-in.

To end on a pleasant, non-pee note (What was all that just about anyway??), my shape is starting to noticeably change, so I took my measurements on Saturday so I could have a record of inches lost during this process. The results were vaguely horrifying but definitely eye-opening, and as Serena responded when I texted her, freaking out, "You're changing all that." Thank Goddess for someone saying the right thing at the right time.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congratulations on your excellent start on your weight loss journey!
Also, it sounds like you had what I call a "well-balanced" weekend- a nice mix of productivity, recreation and rest. Those are rare in my life these days, but knowing that I've had a successful weekend somehow makes Monday that much easier to face.