December 17, 2007

Anatomy of one long Monday morning

Last night, after an evening of cleaning, dusting, and moving furniture, I sat on my couch doing word jumble puzzles. The whole time, one kitty would be next to me (or on me) and one kitty would be sitting on top of an air vent, mesmerized by the gently swaying Christmas lights I'd strung up that moved to and fro when the heat would kick on. I had a nice selection of Annie Lennox, Suzanne Vega, Enya, and Zero 7 playing in the background. I didn't want the weekend to end. I'd taken a three-hour nap on Sunday and wasn't tired even when midnight rolled around. I had to be up early for a work meeting. Foreshadowing.

Midnight arrived. Midnight left.

I went to bed around 12:30 and didn't fall asleep right away.

Every time I woke up, I wondered when I was going to fall asleep.

I finally looked at the clock.

2:46 AM.

Fuck.

I got up.

I cleaned some more -- swept, moved laundry baskets, other cumbersome objects -- all while naked.

I still wasn't tired.

But it suddenly seemed very warm in my apartment.

God, no wonder I couldn't sleep the heat is cranked up to a kerjillion degrees hey wait do you think the physical effort made me warm?

Sure. Logic at 4 AM. Let's continue down THAT path.

I decided to alphabetize my CDs.

The blinds in the living room don't quite fit my gargantuan windows, so I decided to don some gay apparel. For all the peeping toms outside my apartment in the 12-degree weather at 3:00 AM.

I alphabetized.

Still. Not. Tired.

Fuuuuuuck.

I did some more word puzzles. The word DAMASCUS, when scrambled, is a serious bitch to figure out in case you're wondering.

Finally, at 4:45 AM, I felt tired again.

Alarm was going off at 7:00 AM.

Groan.

I got in bed.

Mmm. Warm. Cozy. Naked.

Gotta pee.

#@$%*!

Pad pad pad tinkle wash hands pad pad pad bed.

Mmm. Warm. Cozy. Naked.

George jumped on my hip.

I fell asleezzzzzzzzzzz.

"...brown-eyed girl ... yoooooooooooooou my ... brown-eyed girl ..."

Wow. 7:00 AM already, huh?

-snooze-

7:09 AM: "...brown-eyed girl ... yoooooooooooooou my ... brown-eyed girl ..."Shut it, Van.

-snooze-

7:18 AM: "...brown-eyed girl ... yoooooooooooooou my ... brown-eyed girl ..."AIIIIIEEEEEEE!

Turn off alarm: Yes?

YES.

7:21 AM: George is sitting next to my head. Mommomgetupmommomgetupmom.

Groan.

Stumble to bathroom.

Wow, someone alphabetized my CDs! Don't they look nice?

Emptied trash in bathroom.

Shower. Clothing. Crunchy socks.

Crunchy?

Ah crap, these must've come from the load that spun sans Downy ball.

Grr.

Where are my snow boots?

One boot. And one black high heel. This is not going to work.

Tennies.

What time is it?

7:53 AM.

Fuck!

Clothing: On.

Backpack: Packed.

Shoes: Tied.

Cats: Adios.

Outside.

Car buried.

No biggie.

Turn on car.

Sit inside for a minute.

Glance at backpack.

Word puzzles?

Nah.

Get out of car.

scrapescrapescrapescrapescrape

I can see!

Pull away from curb, following a red Jeep that took forever to pass me on the non-treacherous-looking road.

Approach intersection where I head east.

Apply brakes.

Fishtail.

Eyes widen.

Coast.

Heart rate increases.

Coast.

Red Jeep's back end comes closer.

Coast.

Eyes widen.

omgomgomgomgogmgomg

Snow-covered tires finally catch on patch of non-icy pavement.

Saved!

Red Jeep pulls away, intact.

Resume breathing.

Drive drive drive.

Starbucks.

Nonfat latte, please.

Drive drive drive.

Work.

Crappy gloves off. Scarf off. Jacket off. Toes wet.

Bleah. Gotta find other snow boot.

Footsteps on stairs. Basement door opens.

Queen S!

Morning! Kiss kiss blah blah blah you're here early.

Mumble mumble meeting with King V.

It's a shame what happened to [your coworker's] fiance, isn't it?

What are you talking about?

He had a stroke and died.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "HE DIED"?

ohmygodsienna hewassoyoung whatisshegoingtodo hey! hewasyoungerthaniam!

Yeah. Had a stroke and died.

Shock.

Shock.

Shock.

King V arrives.

Sienna's father-in-law had a stroke and died.

Wait a minute.

Father-in-law? Not fiance?

No ... her fiance's father passed away.

Oh! Okay, that still sucks. A lot. But it makes a little more sense.

Latte has grown cold.

Toes are still wet.

Can't see the top of my desk.

Monday officially begins.

No comments: