November 19, 2007

Conclusion to The Suck

I finally got through to the court about my speeding ticket. The guy I spoke with asked for the court case number and when I told him, he said, somewhat accusingly, "The suspension hasn't gone into effect yet." Oh. I'm sorry. Was I not supposed to take care of this issue promptly? Do you get a bonus if people call, making excuses, sometime after their licenses have been suspended? Shall I hang up and call back on the 29th to make you happy?

The decent news is that I'm only being slapped with a $30 late charge. The crappish news is that I probably have to go to the court in person to make the payment because mailing it might take too long, given the upcoming holiday. After I pay the tickfine (is Make-Up-Word Monday, dig?), I have to take a notice to the BMV that authorizes them to lift the pending suspension order, so I might as well do it all in person anyway. The court is open late on Tuesdays. Tomorrow is Tuesday. Tomorrow is also my birthday. Do I really want to be anywhere associated with a court on my birthday? Not really, but do I want my license suspended?

It Sucks To Be Me!

On the happiest side of things, my newest obsession is the soundtrack to the musical Avenue Q. I guess it's time that I actually admit I like musicals. Yes, I still think it's odd when people spontaneously burst into song, but ... I kinda did that all night yesterday. I celebrated one of my novel-writing breaks by cracking open the CD and having a listen ... and then an unavoidable sing-along. And then I celebrated again when I completed my word count for the day by clicking the stereo back on. I would've loved to have had the stereo on while I was writing, but I would've gotten about 24 words written before I jumped up and danced around my apartment using my stereo remote as a microphone. Not that I, uh, erm, did that yesterday or, uh, anything.

One of my Michfest friends got me hooked on the soundtrack when I was visiting with her and other festies two weekends ago. We zipped around town listening to the CD and after I got home, I promptly ordered my own copy, which only cost me $6 because I had a Target gift card. Great tunes for only a few bucks; Christmas, she comes early for the Maxine!

3 comments:

Mymsie said...

Oops - hadn't read this post yet. If you pay before the suspension deadline, do you still have to do all that court notice nonsense? What a cluster.

Happy burfday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxine Dangerous said...

I didn't think to ask the guy I spoke with if I could pay online. He said I have to take some letter from the court to the BMV -- not the BMW, as I typed earlier :rolleyes: -- that says they're authorized to lift the pending suspension. It's stupid and it's a racket, as was getting pulled over in the first place, and it hasn't stopped me from speeding. I mean, um, it has helped me to obey the law at all times, always use my turn signals, and drive with my hands at 10 and 2. ;)

Mymsie said...

Hmm. Well I already did pay online but maybe I should call and ask about bringing the paper to the BMV. What a racket!!