Had dinner with Brent Fantastic at Yahoo Sushi, which was so crowded that I will now call it The Gridlock Clusterfuck House of Fish. I think we waited an hour for a table. It was worth it though. We think we stole a table away from someone who had signed in as Jennifer and then didn’t speak up when her name was called. As the TGCHOF, which serves some damn good sushi, was quite literally standing room only, Brent and I jumped when his name was called for our table. Poor Jennifer. She probably never got a table and had to eat Dairy Queen for dinner instead. I shed now one lonely tear for her sorely-lacking reflexes. And the tears she cried over her choc dilly bar.
Dinner was great, except for something new I ordered called The Alaskan, which was a nightmarish combo of cucumber stalks and big lumps of whitefish, topped with large, juicy roe. I tried it. I didn’t like it. I never have to order it again. (See also: octopus.) Brent ordered something called The Arizona, which was so spicy it burned all the hair off his chest and head and singed my eyebrows. We now know what to avoid on the GCHOF menu. Luckily, we also ordered things we definitely like, so all was not lost. Next time, we’re sticking to the things that are pleasing to the palate (mmm salmon) and definitely making a reservation for a table. Even though our victory over Jennifer made our wait worth it.
Saturday
I attended a glaze-a-mug workshop after barely dragging myself out of bed during the 10:00 hour in order to get ready. My friend and I were the sole participants of the workshop, which suited me just fine. I stenciled schools of fish on a mug, painted it dark dark blue and made the fish orange and bright yellow. And I stenciled a light grey whale on the other side. I get to pick it up later this week.
After the workshop, I dropped off my friend and went to a birthday party for Venus and Sebastian’s one-year-old daughter. I had a nice time talking to the adults while the kids repeatedly dropped toys on the hardwood floor. Mental note: If I ever have kids, I should probably also have carpeted floors. I don’t know how parents can stand the dropping of toys, the random screaming, and having to watch the kids so they don’t swallow pieces of plastic wrap. Wait. I get it. The kids were so darned cute that none of the noise really bugged me. Case in point: I dozed off in the midst of the hullaballoo, but I woke up in time for ice cream cake. Mmmm, cake.
Post party, I went to AT&T to buy a new phone. My now-old phone up and stopped working on Friday night and I got rid of my landline, so replacement was paramount. I now have a new phone that looks exactly like the other phone, except Shiny New has never been tarnished by the likes of feline yuckiness. And it now comes with an annoying “push to talk” button on the side that I accidentally depress every time I pick up the phone. Luckily the button doesn’t make that irritating walkie talkie noise, but I’ve now read the “push to talk charges will apply – continue?” message about 412 times since Saturday and I.am.over.it.
Saturday evening
I was due to go out with friends but made the mistake of sitting down when I got home and The Tired caught up with me and smacked me about the head for awhile. So I asked for a raincheck and I stayed home watching TV and paying bills. I should’ve gone to bed around 9 PM, considering how tired I was at 6:30, but no, I stayed up until 1 AM. Oy.
Sunday
I napped through part of Sunday afternoon, which was great, but screwed with my ability to get to sleep when I finally dragged myself to bed in the earliest hours of Monday morning. Case in point #2: 12:37 AM. Wide awake. 1-something AM: Wide awake. Fuck me.
Hopper is on my right, Diet Coke is in front of me, lunch is to my left, the sky is above, the ground is below, and I start my digital photography class tonight. Yeah, buddy.
1 comment:
Mmmm... I loves me some sushi. But I'm right there with you on the roe thing. It's a disgusting ball of salty slime that no one should be forced to endure. Though I do like octopus. But the all time fave for sushi, despite not being raw, is eel. Mmmm...yummy, yummy eel. I went out for sushi on Saturday and... is it wrong to feel weird when your sushi waitress is 100% Caucasian?
Post a Comment