I don’t like making resolutions because I get so let down by February when I haven’t yay rah! joined a gym! and lost 50 pounds! or learned to cook something more difficult than soup or learned to play Rhapsody in Blue on the clarinet or, you know, cured some major disease. I even used to be the kind of person who didn’t like making goals (let alone saying the word) because people who talked about goals were the manager-types I worked with in retail who were always nauseatingly cheerful and knew exactly where their lives were headed for the next 25 years and blah la la. I know now that goals aren’t bad. Cheesy manager types, yes. Goals, no. Therefore, what follows is my goal list for 2007. I might add to this list as the year progresses, especially because a couple of these things should be pretty darn easy to accomplish and #s 1, 10, 20, and 27 will be easy to accomplish if I’m easy. Ha.
GOALS
1. Get laid.
2. Open a savings account and put some money in it.
3. Make some serious progress on paying off credit card debt and student loans (#3 might cancel out #2 but they’re both important to write down).
4. Stop sleeping on a mattress on the floor like a 19-year-old in her first apartment. The allure of sleeping ‘alternatively’ lost its allure a long time ago.
5. Buy a “major” piece of furniture, like a squishy reading chair + ottoman. Also, buy some lamps.
6. Visit Mack Daddy Smooth.
7. Exercise more often.
8. Spend more quality time with friends.
9. Clean out trunk of car.
10. Get laid.
11. Take cats to vet like responsible pet owner.
12. Try not to obsess about when my Real Life is going to begin and realize that I am living my Real Life and nothing is going to miraculously change like it does in the movies if I move to another city; sure, I might get An Amazing Job and meet Her and Buy a House and Really Be Happy, Truly, Truly Happy, Like Very-High-Dosage-of-Prozac Happy, but this isn’t a romantic comedy and I need to understand how blessed I am where I am. Everything happens for a reason. There’s a good reason why I haven’t packed it all up and left for ChicagoAnnArborSanDiegoSantaFePhoenixSanFranciscoJapan. I’m supposed to be here in River City and if I’d stop hyperventilating about wanting to get out of and go to some ooh la la magical place that depression and stacks of bills and neurotic cats and their piles of cat hair can’t touch, I’d realize that.
13. Go on some trips. Traveling will help beat back urge to pack it all up and take off in a Route 66 kind of way.
14. Build work wardrobe.
15. Try some new stuff and not just new foods (rollerblading, maybe yes; bungee jumping, no).
16. Read more books.
17. Make more art.
18. Try being a little less scared to just write or just draw or just express self … try not to puke when remembering cheesy-but-true adage to dance like no one is watching, etc.
19. Go dancing.
20. Get laid.
21. Buy some bedroom furniture.
22. Buy or make or have someone make me some curtains.
23. Watch some old movies I’ve never seen like Casablanca and Some Like It Hot.
24. Get massages and facials and pedicures on a more frequent basis.
25. Resume reading my work in public.
26. Believe in self a bit more.
27. Get laid.
28.
No comments:
Post a Comment