July 24, 2006

Movie mania

I think I watched 10 movies this weekend. Let’s see:

1. Hustle and Flow
2. The Incredibles
3. Finding Nemo (twice)
4. Night Shift
5. If These Walls Could Talk 2
6. The House of Sand and Fog
7. Kinsey

Okay, seven. And I’d seen all but numbers one and seven before, both of which I really liked. I was titillated by the fact that I could go from a movie about sex research (“Kinsey”) to pimps and drug dealing (“Hustle and Flow”) and intersperse the two with cartoon fish (“Finding Nemo”), a family of superheros (“The Incredibles”), more pimps but funny ones this time (“Night Shift”), lesbians and more lesbians (“If These Walls Could Talk 2”), and finally, a depressed alcoholic versus an Iranian colonel (“The House of Sand and Fog”). It’s fun to be eclectic. Join my club. You’ll like it.

I’m glad I didn’t make any sort of resolution to clean out my car or eat better or exercise this past weekend because, again, it didn’t happen. I have managed to coax a friend into attending water aerobics with me on Wednesday evening, so at least I’ll get some exercise this week. I can’t figure out what’s making me depressed. I say “depressed” because I tend to isolate, overeat, and watch lots of movies when I’m depressed. But I don’t feel depressed. (Thanks be to Prozac?) Maybe I’m just adjusting to my new space or dealing with the fact that many of my friendships have changed over the past couple of years or maybe I’m still sore that things with The Date didn’t work out or maybe I’m just holding on with two fingertips until I leave for Michigan and dearGoddesshopefully come back rejuvenated and fresh and new or maybe I miss doing volunteer work or maybe I need to go shopping for new clothes and furniture or maybe I need to hang up some pictures or … I don’t know. I think mainly I’m adjusting to my new space.

I finally met the washer and dryer in the scary-ass basement yesterday. After inadvertently sending my clothes through the spin cycle before actually washing them (oops), I managed to wash some clothes. I also made some pasta for dinner, unpacked my last box of kitchen stuff, turned some jeans into swanky cutoffs, cleaned out the catbox (blech!), and changed the sheets on my bed. Sleeping on fresh sheets is wonderful. So crisp, so pretty, so nice to wake up in the morning with the fan gently breezing its way across my person while my soft-yet-crinkly sheets surround me like a thousand threads of Egyptian cotton.

No comments: