March 17, 2006

Eat your (artichoke) heart out

After leaving work, I did the typical payday Friday task of depositing my check in the bank. Hallelujah for having spending money and a non-rent-paying check. It's a car-insurance-paying check, but we won't get into that now.

I went to a local witchy sort of store that sells lots and lots of overpriced jewelry, books, CDs, candles, oils, incense, etc. I lost my goddess necklace back in December and have yet to replace it. I was hoping to get a new one tonight. Sadly, I didn't find anything I liked, despite repeated attempts by an all-too-pushy saleswoman who saw me come in at 6:30 and probably worried I would have to be kicked out after the store closed at 7:00. No worries, lady. I picked up your impatient vibe as I looked at necklaces and, via my peripheral vision, saw you check your watch. I think I even heard you sigh. So sorry I inconvenienced your entire life by not settling for some $30 necklace that I didn't like. Sorry you work in retail and had to be at your store on a Friday evening. Your hot date will wait. I hate (argh!) that that rhymes.

The Body Butter Incident

While browsing, I picked up a tub of lavender-and-chamomile body butter that I was considering purchasing, but as my trips around the store progressed and I became dissatisfied with the store's selection of goddess jewelry (hello, five sizes of the same design doesn't exactly equal five necklace choices), as well as the saleswoman's attitude, I decided I didn't want to spend any money at the store and I put the body butter back. I thought everyone in the store heard the little ka-thunk said emollient made when I placed it back with its I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Lotion! family on the shelf, but apparently not. I guess the saleswoman thought I had pocketed the butter and was trying to make a hasty exit when I thanked her none-too-sincerely for her help as I left the store.

Lady, gimme a break. If I was going to steal something from your store, it would cost more than $10.99; I'm just saying. Sorry you didn't get a sale off me this time. Maybe if your store had better energy -- you can smell the greed wafting through the door of their yeah-we're-like-totally-uh-Wiccan establishment. Maybe if your employees didn't seem quite so out of place. I really would've expected to find Pushy Saleslady behind the counter in a Christian bookstore, not an alternative spirituality place. I didn't give them any money and I still feel kind of dirty for going into their store again. I think I vowed last time I was there that I wouldn't buy anything else since their stuff is overpriced and I have a friend who sells similar items (but no goddess necklaces -- argh!) for less money. After I left the store, I decided to road trip down south on Sunday with a friend of mine to a truly Goddess-y store. I'll bet I'll find my necklace there.

After the dirty energy experience, I picked up some Italian food for dinner and two movies at Blockbuster, one of which was Must Love Dogs. It was about 80% better than I thought it was going to be. I had to snag it because I am fan of both Diane Lane (hello, hottie) and John Cusack (who is apparently a jackass in real life, something I'm trying to forget since I like his work so much). Like I said, it was really good, especially when enjoyed during a dinner of angel hair pasta with chicken chunks and artichoke hearts. Oh yes. I enjoyed some super-chocolatey ice cream after dinner and when the movie ended, did my one unpleasant task for the evening. Yes... I changed the catbox. I remember now why I don't buy Fresh Step cat litter anymore. As soon as the water from the tub faucet hit the pan, the remaining litter flecks turn into a cement-like clay that I was beating off the side of the pan with a toilet brush, only to end up with clay flecks in my hair. (AUGH!) Luckily, the whole mess got cleaned up in a few minutes, the cats have a clean place to do their unthinkable damage (How can so much atrocious nastiness come from two fuzzy and playful kitties? Do they invite their friends in to use the cat pan while I'm at work?), and my psyche has healed from the thoroughly-scarring experience.

I was going to watch the second movie I rented, (Mr. and Mrs. Smith), but decided to hold off until tomorrow. I've been heading towards a shower by candlelight and bed for about 90 minutes now. Maybe two solid hours. I keep getting distracted by fun stuff like blogging, chatting online with one of my oldest friends, and stalking my email inbox. But now it's -- holy crap! it's midnight:20! -- and I'm still not in bed. Oy. Getting up at 7 is NOT going to be pretty.

On that note, I bid thee adieu. A fun-filled weekend follows, including attending a candle party, the aforementioned road trip, and the always-fun requisite activities of going grocery shopping and doing some laundry. Take the wheel, Mildred. I gotta adjust my support hose.

No comments: