November 13, 2013

My favorite person

I am lucky that this prompt makes me think of a lot of people I know.

Today, it was my mom when we chatted about appliances (seriously) while drinking chai tea infused with milk.

A couple weeks ago, it was my brother when we chatted on Skype and he took his laptop out on the balcony to show me downtown Waikiki.

This afternoon, it was my dad when I looked at his grey-and-white hair and realized I still think of him as having brown hair.

Last week, it was my friend Luckdragon and her blog posts that are delicious, fun, and a glimpse into a life I wouldn't mind living.

Years ago, long before he passed away, my favorite person was my paternal grandfather, whose whiskers I can still feel 'burn' my cheek from kissing him hello and goodbye.

It was my paternal grandmother and her handwritten letters that started with phrases like Tuesday morning instead of the date. Years before she too passed away, we lost her to dementia. I'm glad to have some of her authentic self saved in a box with other written correspondence I have long cherished.

A couple days ago, it was my friend Schwa who reminded me how much I love Ze Frank's "True Facts" videos. We chatted for more than four hours and that night I went to bed with sore stomach muscles because I'd laughed so much.

The night before that, it was a friend for whom I have long felt a deep love who told me that visual art may be my passion, but writing is my calling.

I'm a lucky grrl, no?

No comments: