Speaking of Vox, there was a lot of crazy during a staff meeting the other day. Supervisor said we need a copy editor, that people on Twitter are making fun of Vox for being poorly edited. She said, and I quote, "I don't know if that means we need to hire a copy editor or what," at which point my eyes fell out of my head. A few moments later, I piped up. Hi! Me? Hire? Me? The gal who's only working part-time and has repeatedly let you know I'm available for more work? The same person who already edits for you? Supervisor glanced over with this sort of "Hey, when did you get here?" look on her face and something clicked. Or at least one thing sort of rubbed up drunkenly against another. She considered my suggestion and a few minutes later was talking very formally, like "Then Maxine will sign off on the issue before it goes to the design folks and again when it's laid out" and all kinds of other I-carry-the-red-pen-of-great-importance sorts of phrases. Nothing is official (SHOCKER!) but at least I'm closing in on becoming... Full Time. ::cape flaps in wind:: Or, and this is only because I feel like I drop acid, turn my head backwards, and then talk to my bosses using a combination of pantomime and shadow puppet hand tricks, I'll still be squawking about being part-time a few weeks from now as poorly edited issues of the paper continue to hit the streets.
* * * * * * * * * *
I spent many, many hours this week (especially yesterday, holy hell) pulling together a grant proposal for an arts fellowship. The purpose of the grant is for artists to blow out the cobwebs and get really excited about their art again. It's how King V got the money for his play a few years ago. I proposed traveling around the country to various writing workshops that would normally be too expensive and/or far away to attend. I want to soak up the culture of places like Portland, OR, and commune with writers and see what develops in my work. (And my S*O*U*L ::heartsflowerspuppiesintrigue!::) When I get back, I'll publish a book of essays and poems I'll create while I'm on the road. I'm envisioning rented cars and train rides and chatting with artists and reading at open mics and selling CDs and it's all VERY exciting. Today was the deadline. I'll find out in March if I got it. I know. March. I think I can hold my breath until then. I don't know yet where I'll be going or when -- at the earliest, if I was given the fellowship, I wouldn't leave for eight months, so I have a smidge of time to do some research. It's very exciting and I keep envisioning the reading I'll host when I get back (a public presentation being a requirement of the grant). In all my fantasies, my hair looks FANTASTIC.
Speaking of hair, I have a consultation scheduled tomorrow with my former stylist, the woman I faithfully went to in my early 20s for a biweekly wash-and-set. I also got my nails done regularly. They were sculptured (fake), long enough that I had to use my keys to open up cans of Diet Coke, and, at least once, painted hot pink. Twould be a vast understatement to say I'm no longer that girl. So vast it's like she's on one side of the Grand Canyon and I'm in the gift shop asking if anyone has seen Thelma and Louise.
I got a down comforter for my birthday. It is full of air and squish and awesome and I love it.
Mack Daddy Smooth will be home in just over a week. WOO!
I joined Netflix about a month ago and love it, so much so I'm going to dump cable. I'll miss watching Frasier reruns in the morning before work but that's hardly a reason to keep paying $50+/month for a mechanism that mostly delivers shows I need not watch, like Intervention and Hoarders. And anyway, I can probably get them all online. The cable rep didn't even try to get me to stay. Granted, I'm a cable customer until I hoof the cable box and remote back to the company, but that'll probably be Monday. I'm highly motivated by words like "refund" and "pro-rated."
As I've been putting off sleep since
1 comment:
Congrats! I just ditched cable a few weeks ago when I got an internet player hooked up to my TV. I use it primarily for Netflix though it gets a few other cable services. I now just use Comcast for internet only and my bill went down $95. !!!
--Sofya
Post a Comment