October 15, 2010

Five for Friday

1. I've been pretty bummed the last couple weeks, but the malaise is thankfully moving on. Some of that meh is because tomorrow is Katie's memorial. King V had a mini-meltdown earlier in the week because his color printer, which was chugging out the program for said memorial, ran out of magenta toner and wouldn't work. I ordered him some new cartridges and had them shipped here super fast, not panicking because we had a week to get the things printed out. He was flipping out and groaning about how much it was going to cost to run the programs off at Kinko's, as though there were no color printers anywhere else in the world, including three feet away from the one that wasn't working. I didn't say anything because (a) the fam is understandably super tense about tomorrow and (b) I'm used to him overreacting. Printer is out of ink? THE WORLD IS ENDING. At least I know from whom I inherited my occasional doomsdayness. Example: I have a headache. OMG IT'S A TUMAH.

2. I'm reading poetry tomorrow night (yes, hours after the memorial -- that's just how the scheduling worked out) and need to get my poems together. Years ago, I developed a reputation for being a "sex poet" since I wrote primarily erotic poetry. I'm not sure it's a label I'm ever going to shed. The organizer of tomorrow's event called me this afternoon and, with a half-giggle, said something about looking forward to me reading stuff that would make everyone blush. Certainly there are worse labels I could have. I guess it just feels a little limiting, especially if I want to read something non-sexy. Hang on. I'm complaining about turning on lesbians. Never mind.

3. I went to a mandatory class at the unemployment office yesterday because I have exhausted my benefits and needed to apply for an extension. The 75 minutes I spent there could've been reduced to about 10; the time was chewed up by waiting in a long line and then sitting through what was essentially a long commercial for the office's optional resume writing, job skills, and interviewing techniques workshops. Helpful, I'm sure, but I have a job that I want, one that I'm just waiting on to go full time. Somehow, several people in my class missed the part about the workshops being optional. One lady asked when she had to show up for the classes because she had a time conflict. Another person said, "So, these mandatory classes you mentioned..." and just kept talking. I tried to keep my incredulity dialed down. We'd already heard from one woman who haughtily said she had a B.S. in Accounting and acted like she was too good to be one of the cattle lowing at the fence. I wanted to tell her I've been that smarmy college graduate who thinks she shouldn't have to be here in steerage and all it does is make you look like a dick. At least my visit to the office is done with, my form is turned in, and now I just wait. Thankfully, I have paychecks from Vox to help get me through the up-to-21-days-for-processing waiting period. I received a check today, so you know I've already been to the dollar store...

4. ...where I got hit on. The manager of the store held the door open for me, complimented me on the way I'd shoved my purchases into a reusable grocery bag as I walked around the store ("I don't think I'll be able to pack this again as neatly as you did, but I'll try!"), and called me 'love' before I left. It's probably good he was a boy. Had a girl done that, they'd probably still be mopping me off the floor.

5. I am very happily cracked out on Passion Pit's "To Kingdom Come." It's a happy-making song. Here's hoping the video doesn't get yanked off YouTube like so many others I've posted have been:



Happy weekend, kids.

No comments: