January 6, 2010

Wicked puns

A little Wicked

I received volume one of the "Glee" soundtrack for Christmas and have been driving around River City for the past few days, singing my lungs out. At one point on Sunday, I couldn't get my brain to stop saying "defining" instead of "defying" when it came to the cover of "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked" (which I have not yet read or seen). Thus, for the sake of my brain, let's wrap this up:

Main Entry: grav·i·ty
Pronunciation: \ˈgra-və-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural grav·i·ties
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French gravité, from Latin gravitat-, gravitas, from gravis
Date: 1505
1 a : dignity or sobriety of bearing b : importance, significance; especially : seriousness c : a serious situation or problem
2 : weight
3 a (1) : the gravitational attraction of the mass of the earth, the moon, or a planet for bodies at or near its surface (2) : a fundamental physical force that is responsible for interactions which occur because of mass between particles, between aggregations of matter (as stars and planets), and between particles (as photons) and aggregations of matter, that is 10-39 times the strength of the strong force, and that extends over infinite distances but is dominant over macroscopic distances especially between aggregations of matter —called also gravitation, gravitational force — compare electromagnetism 2a, strong force, weak force b : acceleration of gravity c : specific gravity

Now that I know what gravity is, maybe I can sing the damn song correctly. Including the Tarzan-esque yell at the end of what is otherwise a beautiful song.


This is what we do


King V and I are big fans of trading puns back and forth. Years ago, when I worked for my alma mater, we would flood each other's inboxes with pun-filled emails, generally trying to outdo each other in groan-ness. Last year, I was responsible for tracking obituary information for a funeral home. I found out a couple days ago that I no longer have to wrangle the arduous task, which is, as you might imagine, a little depressing. My joy at being free has resulted in the following:

Me: I'm free! I'm free!

King V: Good! It was deadening, wasn’t it.

Me: It really did take the life out of me.

King V: It was a killer, I know.

Me: It reminded me of being six feet under*.

* As I've never been dead, I'm not sure why I thought this made sense. Oh well.

King V: I’m goner try to outdo you.

Me: You’d have more success in taking an extended dirt nap.

King V: Why not suggest that [the client] offer nap dances?

Annnnnnd as you can see, we're now on to a different set of puns.

3 comments:

Steph Mineart said...

As wonderful as the Glee cover of Defying Gravity is - you MUST hear the Idina Menzel/Kristin Chenoweth version. (Which we have on CD and will give to you when I get the Christmas tree put away and the CD boxes out again.)

That version is breathtaking. Talk about singing in your car - it's spectacular.

NancyLou said...

Great death-related puns. Glad you didn't have to farm that responsibility out (ouch!).

Maxine Dangerous said...

ES: I've been looking up original performances of the Glee songs and saw IM perform DG on a Tony awards show. It was pretty cool. DEFINITELY interested in hearing her duet with KC, who is chock full of awesome. :D

N: *groan* WIN! :D