February 2, 2009

I extended the olive branch and she yanked it out of my hand and pooped on it

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire yesterday (Go see it. Now. Quit your job and go. NOW.) and while I was waiting for my friends to arrive, I saw a former poetry professor with whom I’d had a very contentious relationship coming towards the theater. I turned around and pretended to be looking at the wall, hoping she didn't see me. Either she didn't or she ignored me because we didn't talk. (See also: Dodged comma bullet.) My friends and I entered the theater a few minutes later, after the previews had started, so there was luckily no time for any awkward conversation. I knew my ex-prof (EP) would be at Slumdog; I think the only other choice was to hang out in the lobby until Bride Wars started.

During the movie, I cried from both sadness and joy. At one point, I had one of those moments where you get a message from the Universe (Goddess, God, your higher power, etc.) but in your own voice. I heard that voice/myself say, "It's time to forgive her,” and I started crying again. During the whole movie, I was thinking about the amazing poetry that EP would generate because of the film’s beauty and moving story. It was well-cast and just outstanding. Maybe I started fantasizing a little too hard about drinking chai and discussing metaphors with my former nemesis because…

The credits rolled and I leaned forward to say hello. EP mentioned she'd seen one of the quizzes I'd taken on Facebook. I wasn't mean about it but I said I didn't realize everyone could see those answers (she's not on my friends list; I didn’t even know she was ON Facebook until a few weeks ago). She said, "Well, it's not like you've friended me or anything..."

Blink.

Blink.

I leaned forward, tears still in my eyes (I am NOT kidding when I say I cried through the movie) and simply said, "It's good to see you."

And... scene.

No comments: