September 25, 2008

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me

The other day I was listening to the Police and heard "Wrapped Around Your Finger." Automatically, I started singing along... and then realized that I'd be murmuring, making up, and/or glossing over some of the lyrics for years because I had no idea what ol' Gordon was saying in the first verse. So I looked up ze words and discovered:

You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the scylla and charybidis
Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger

Cooooooool. Words I don't know! Hello, dictionary!

Scylla
("sill-uh"): a nymph changed into a monster in Greek mythology who terrorizes mariners in the Strait of Messina

--between Scylla and Charybdis ("kuh-rib-diss"): between two equally hazardous alternatives

Cha·ryb·dis: a whirlpool off the coast of Sicily personified in Greek mythology as a female monster

Sweet! Thank
you, Sting, for renewing my interest in Greek mythology. (Thanks also to Stephanie Spinner for her young-adult novel, Quicksilver, which was a quick and entertaining read.)

So later that same afternoon, I was flipping through Chicago magazine and came across a picture of this lovely lady:

Hey, cutie! Call me!

This is Stephanie Izard, the winner of the fourth season of Top Chef. Nope, didn't watch the show and didn't know who she was until that moment. I read her bio and discovered that she used to own a restaurant called Scylla. Does this kind of stuff happen to other people? I run into these... coincidences? fluffy moments of fate? ...pretty often. Am I being given clues to solve a mystery? Knowledge to pack into my head should I ever become a Jeopardy contestant? Or am I just in the right place at the right time?

No comments: