June 11, 2008

By the bullet

  • My laptop, which has been out of commission since last fall, is headed to the doctor this evening. Casey's brother-in-law owns a computer company and will hopefully be able to fix what ails my poor baby. I've missed being online at home. It will be nice to be able to blog from home, as well as re-access writing I've done and blog drawings I did in the good ol' days. I'd like to get back to posting pictures and just can't take the time at work to draw them. Imagine that - actually working while I'm at work. Huh. Interesting concept.
  • Sterling and Steele brought me this beautiful bracelet from their travels:
Vulva-rific!
  • I've decided to go to Target soon to buy one towel, one washcloth, and two new pillows. I keep thinking that the housewares overhaul has to happen in some multi-hundred-dollar, beds-in-bags, I-need-three-shopping-carts kind of venture when it really, really doesn't. I look forward to my future purchases, especially since I'll be able to toss out the pillows I used to share with my ex. Sure, they've been washed a gerjillion times over, but they still have her cooties, I just know it.
  • A woman I know through Michfest is in ailing health and needs a kidney transplant. I called and spoke with a donor representative, which turned out to be a poopy experience. I answered a litany of personal and familial health questions only to find out, probably 15 minutes into the call, that my weight is prohibitive against my being a donor and, oh yeah, your blood type is incompatible with our needs. WHAT. THE. FUCK. The rep's FIRST two questions should’ve been about blood type and weight. I guess I’m in a database now and might be able to help someone out (even though, truth be known, the idea of having a kidney sucked out of my body, even if it’s to save someone else’s life, squicks me the fuck out), but I don't think I'll be getting any calls for my major organs anytime soon. I’m so mad that being big is such an issue for SO MANY THINGS. I understand that there are health considerations and my family’s not-so-great health history (see also: stroke, cancer, diabetes, you're-fucked-Maxine-have-a-nice-day) might have barred me from donating anyway *deep breath* AND and I know that if I needed an organ I’d want it to come from someone healthy who didn’t drink or drug to excess, someone who, I don’t know, only ate celery and vitamins and drank purified water , but … I’m just mad. Fat girls want to be altruistic too!
  • I was going over my finances earlier today and was once again reminded I hate credit cards. Turns out that the $30 I paid toward a recent bill was eaten up by a $40 late charge and a finance charge, so it’s like I shredded my $30 into tiny, tiny bits and flushed it down the toilet.  ARGH.
  • The good news, in a way, is that I didn't turn to food or smoking to soothe myself after donor denial and credit card crapola. Instead, I bought two snowman mugs and two snowman plates I’ve been coveting on the Crate & Barrel website for months. (Does the word 'clearance' count as dirty talk? No?) Retail therapy is awesome, especially when the total comes to less than $20.

No comments: