May 9, 2008

At least I still have my eyebrows (a.k.a. Friday Fun Facts)

Two nights ago I was cleaning my bathroom and was facing a stubborn water/mineral/whatever ring. The smelly toilet bowl cleaner I'd used in the past works well -- et voila, no ring -- but, well, it smells awful. I know that chemicals aren't supposed to smell nutritious and delicious, but let's make something that provides a bit more incentive to clean the potty, shall we?

A friend had recommended Lysol Cling, which smells good but didn't get rid of the ring. So I put the smelly cleaner in the bowl too. Ring still there.

(This is where I stopped being a reasonably intelligent human being.)

Bleach will take care of that stain! I thought and picked up the bottle.

(Start humming your own ominous theme now.)

I poured the bleach in the bowl and watched as the Gatorade-yellow liquid turned into a frothy, lemon-yellow cloud of chemical excitement. There was a poofing up of foaminess which filled the bowl. Seconds later, the most noxious gas hit the air but I didn't realize it until I was hacking up a lung in the next room.

(Told ya.)

Luckily, a couple toilet flushes, four wide-open windows, and 30 or so minutes later, the gas was gone.

AND SO WAS MOST OF THAT RING. BOO-YAH!

(No, I won't be combining bleach with anything ever again, Mom, and yes, I've accepted the fact that one or more of my potential future children might be born with three eyes.)


* * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday was pretty crummy. I added up all the money I owe to various companies for everything from therapy to my student loans. The total comes to right around $48K. While it's good to know exactly what I owe people, it didn't help yesterday's "life is a bitch and then you die" vibe.

I went home and watched Romance and Cigarettes, which I had checked out of the library. It featured an all-star cast, including Susan Sarandon, Mary-Louise Parker, and Christopher Walken. It was also a musical.

(Uhhhh.)

It was weird. Parts of it were poignant and I found myself wanting to watch it again to pick up elements I might someday use in my own film. For the most part, though, weird.

After the movie, I wasn't compelled to wash a bunch of dishes, so I went for a drive instead. I hate that gas prices are so high (period) but also because it limited how carefree I was about tooling around town. I blew through a quarter tank of gas and was back home about 90 minutes after I left. It's pretty obvious I was desperate to be on the move because it was cold, rainy, windy, and I was on dark roads with little light. I spent a good chunk of the time feeling like I was on the verge of getting into an accident.

During the drive, I listened to the new Chemical Brothers' CD, We Are the Night. I'd not listened to any of their CDs before. I can honestly say I'm a big fan, at least of their current work. I would guess, though, having heard their name for years and some of their songs in movies (I think?) that I'm an 'all-around' fan. One song in particular, Do It Again, had me bopping and singing along. The video is ... different ... but fits well into the theme of my weird-ass Thursday. Please to enjoy:


2 comments:

Gabriel Harley said...

and watched as the Gatorade-yellow liquid turned into a frothy, lemon-yellow cloud of chemical excitement.

Ummm, unless I'm mistaken, that was prolly chlorine gas. Not exactly the kind of stuff you wanna breathe. Be thankful your house is a bit on the old and drafty side!


The total comes to right around $48K.

Fret not. Many more of us owe closer to 10x that amount--mostly in mortgages and students loans.

My motto--"die broke and stick it to The Man." ;-)

Maxine Dangerous said...

>>Ummm, unless I'm mistaken, that was prolly chlorine gas. Not exactly the kind of stuff you wanna breathe.

So you're saying this hump I've developed isn't normal?