Speaking of WW, I got weighed on Saturday and I had gained .2 pounds. For about five minutes, the world was ending. The furious text messages I sent to my support peeps read something like I DID 175 JUMPING JACKS LAST WEEK GOD BLESS IT WHAT DO YOU MEAN COWERING WOMAN BEHIND THE WW COUNTER WHEN YOU SAY I GAINED 'JUST A SMIDGE, JUST A TEACUP' OF WEIGHT SCREW THE FACTS ABOUT MUSCLE WEIGHING MORE THAN FAT I ALMOST BLEW OUT MY KNEE ON THURSDAY AND I HAVEN'T HAD CHEETOS OR TACO BELL OR CAKE OR SLATHERED MYSELF IN MAYONNAISE FOR A MONTH I'LL TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR .2 POUNDS...
...and then I took a breath. And the world was still intact and I had still lost 10 pounds and I stayed for the meeting. Though I didn't leave the meeting on a high and promptly text everyone I knew with the good news that I had lost a kerjimmion more pounds, I didn't wig out and drive to the nearest Krispy Kreme and order everything on the menu either. I did, however, evaluate what I could've done better throughout the week and realized I had slacked off on recording my points and getting my daily 64 ounces of water, so I vowed to be more diligent about those things this week.
After the meeting, I was due to go shopping with Serena, but she had bailed on meeting me at WW because she was under the weather, so I drove around for a while and just appreciated the gorgeous, albeit chilly, day. The sun was shining and all was glorious even if I'd gained back .2 of a pound and I called Casey to invite her to lunch. As she is rapidly working her way towards a doctorate degree
For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed myself at the grocery store. It was kind of weird. I didn't start in the produce section as I normally do. I found myself first in the spice aisle, staring at all kinds of packages and bottles of seasoning, all of which I had heard of but weren't sure what they were good for. I did a lot of reading and made a few choice selections, planning to use a 'poultry rub' (dirty!) combo of thyme and ... uh, some other green stuff ... to prepare chicken breasts later in the week. While marinating in the spices, I had several nostalgic moments. One of the displays had spices in little baggies and the combination of scents (onion powder, rosemary, garlic, cumin, etc.) rocketed me back to the co-op where my parents went shopping when I was a kid. King V, Queen S, Mack Daddy, and I would pull up outside the co-op in the family's Aspen station wagon and amble inside where all the hippies worked. Primarily I remember loving the sight and smell of the loose tea in glass jars with silver lids, carob disguising itself as sweet milk chocolate, and tubs of all-natural peanut butter, which I don't remember liking when I was a kid. Ironically, the latter is a staple at Michfest and now one of my favorite foods during the week. I'm sure MDS and I raced up and down the aisles and annoyed the crap out of the employees. In fact, I seem to recall being yelled at on more than one occasion. Bah -- we were kids and there were bins with scoops everywhere that BEGGED to be messed with. At the checkout, when the employees were probably crying with relief that we would be leaving, our groceries were put into boxes and we would tote everything out to the car and then head off to the office supply store, the fabric store, or Piggly Wiggly for all the things the co-op didn't sell.
After I pried myself away from the spices, I basically shopped the shelves and ended up spending almost $200. That said, a large chunk of change went towards several non-food items, including a 40-pound bag of cat litter
After the store I decided to swing past the library and return the Monk mystery I finished on Friday evening, shortly before Brent Fantastic and I met for dinner and spent five hours chatting. I thought the library closed at 1:00 PM, but found when I got there that I'd read the times wrong. Instead of being 30 minutes late, I had 3.5 hours to cruise the aisles. Thus, I emerged 30 minutes later with an armful of Dean Koontz books and Proof, Walk the Line, Misery, and Spider-Man on DVD. I enjoyed all the movies. I hadn't seen Misery since it was in the theaters 18 years ago (ouch) and had never seen the others. Proof was quite good, despite my general dislike for Gwenyth "I named my daughter after fruit" Paltrow. If I was into math -- or was not a person who cried during Finite Math in college at least twice -- Proof might've been a little like porn. Anthony Hopkins was good, as always, but I felt he could've been in the movie a little more.
After my errands, I returned home and sat on the porch for a while, enjoying the beautiful day. Unfortunately, it was probably only 40 degrees in the shade and I retreated inside for a blanket. When I realized I was going to have to choose between retaining my fully operational fingers or holding my book with stump hands after my digits had frozen off, I went inside for good. Opening the blinds allowed me to enjoy the day and stay warm, although it also highlighted every bit of dust on the hardwood floors that I didn't realize was there. Thank goodness I bought a mop and some Murphy's Oil Soap. Am I getting old if I'm actually looking forward to mopping?
The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. I read my book -- Koontz's The Husband, which was pretty good, although the ending was pretty quick and didn't answer a number of questions that had arisen during the course of the novel -- and watched Spider-Man ("He got my name wrong -- I'm the Human Spider!") and Misery after the sun set. On Sunday, I finished the book and watched the other two movies (no more renting four movies at a time when they're only allowed out on a three-day loan). It was a quiet, relaxing weekend, and certainly what I needed after I kind of lost my mind for a minute (or 12) on Saturday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment