April 20, 2006

The Mocha Valdez

Today I turned 32 and 5/12. Yes, I am THAT person.

I dumped my venti mocha all over the counter at Starbucks this morning when I was trying -- one-handed, mind you -- to put the cup in one of those little heat sleeves. Sploosh -- coffee everywhere. I mopped it up off the counter as best as I could and apologized twice to the woman who had been standing next to me when it spilled. All she did was back away as though radioactive waste had gotten on her windbreaker. She didn't utter a word, not even the requisite-but-insincere, "That's okay." I strode out of Starbucks, feeling a wee bit bad since there was coffee all over the floor, but that's got to happen at least once a day I would think. I could really beat myself up for it, but (A) it was an accident and (B) the people who witnessed the spill probably won't be simultaneously congregated in the cafe the next time I'm there anyway.

The one majorly sucky part is that I branched out and tried something new -- the aforementioned mocha -- and it's yucky. I should have stuck with my vanilla latte, but I'm so freakin' tired after a week of wild dreams and shit sleep that I felt I needed the extra caffeine boost. I even went the non-"diet" breakfast food route and opted for a cream cheese danish over a reduced fat piece of coffee cake. Somehow I think caffeine and sugar are going to wake me up, even though that combo stopped being ultra-effective a number of years ago.

I watched "Brokeback Mountain" last night. Made me SOB. I went to bed really upset. Probably didn't help me sleep any better. Fuckin' homophobia.

I just realized that my hand is sticky from sopping up coffee. Gross.

1 comment:

RetroChrome said...

(OK, third time I've tried to post this. Guys upstairs unplugged cable splitter).

I have had a similar beverage spillage experience.

When the Tissue Bank used to be at 34th and Meridian, we'd take turns in the AM going out to get coffee.

One very cold and icy morning, nobody wanted to go out, but *everyone* wanted coffee.

I volunteered and on the way to my car with drinks in hand, I slipped and spilled about half of the 8 or so drinks.

I went inside, dripping with caramel macchiatowhatever, and the barista took pity on me. I was prepared to pay for the expensive spilled drinks, but she gave them to me for free! Woo!

Of course, I spent the rest of the day with coffee spots on my clothes. Looked a lot like fall leaf imprints on a sidewalk.