March 30, 2006

So this is how the prom queen felt

I had to post again because I was infused with a wonderful feeling about half an hour ago and I want to share.

I went to a local flower/gift shop to pick up flowers and balloons for tonight's party. I love being in flower shops. The air is so cool and it's sort of shady (dark, not criminal) and the smells and colors are wonderful. There are so many flowers' names that I don't know (Bob? Shirley? Juan?) and so I just sort of point to flowers and say, "I want some o' them." Case in point: I mistook lilies for snapdragons.

I left the store with an armful of tangerine lillies (GORGEOUS!) and some spiky yellow flowers and some 'ruffled' merlot-colored flowers. No clue what they are. Don't care. They're pretty and I gathered them lengthwise in my left arm and left the store feeling like a superstar. I had a flurry of red, gold, and orange balloons with colored streamers in my right hand. I walked outside, shades-clad, into a gorgeous, 70-degree day past people dining at an outdoor cafe, with a huge smile on my face. I so should have been in a bottled water ad where I was gleefully prancing through a field toward a crystal blue Italian stream (whence cometh said water, of course) where nymphs and mermaids and bikini-clad models waited for me. Okay, maybe not.

3:00 PM. King V is starting to wig. I don't entirely blame him; we've had more than 140 RSVPs for tonight's party and I'm nervous when I've invited over eight people and only three people call and say they're coming. His pulse is probably racing. I've considered suggesting he do some yoga with me. I'll still do a little yoga before the party, I'm sure -- the asanas I do in the morning as of late are really benefiting me -- but I'm also going to join the other employees at 4:45 PM when we all do one pre-party tequila shot. If I plan it out right, I can stay buzzed all evening.

No comments: